In this article, we will introduce you to one of the most important stages of launching any project, application or startup, and also talk about how our team, OnCreate, conducts and implements market research.
Market research is a set of methods and techniques that are aimed at studying and analyzing the current situation in the market and in the marketing environment of your product.
Why is it so important? Let's look at it from a different perspective. You have an idea about a mobile application but you know roughly or just guess «Where?» and «Who?» will use it, «Where?» and «How?» learn about it, «Where?» and «What?» it is possible to find similar or even functionally equal solutions. Unfortunately, our experience shows that most projects reflect on these issues after the mobile application development stage. And only then it turns out, that the application needs to add a function for choosing a location function or that competitors feature playing video files support which you didn’t even have in mind.
The main goal of market research in OnCreate is to ensure preliminary preparation before prior to the development of the project and the start of advertising campaigns. Market research is implies the analysis and collection of all the information that necessary to create a brand, develop a landing-page, ASO, SEO, market strategy, SMM, and to start advertising. Market research will give you complete and consistent information about:
– potential users of your mobile application, i.e., about the target audience (TA) and its features, demographic and behavioral parameters, all sorts of preferences;
– detailed analysis of separate TA segments (customer profiles);
– competitors: their pros, cons and unique functions;
– the market situation: the number of advertisers in your niche, traffic channels and competitors' ads, the cost of advertising campaigns;
– the content and text component of the project: main market trends, the popularity of certain content categories among target audience, the ranking of keywords in the search and application market (the semantic core of the project);
– your mobile application in the form of as a value proposition.
Market research will help to take into account all TA characteristics even before the stage of active development, which in the future will significantly save the budget from unplanned functions and time for decision-making.
Let’s look at each stages of market research in more detail:
Target Audience Analysis
A mobile application is a whole business, and in any business, project or startup, the most important thing is understanding «Who your customer is?», «Where they are?», «What they do in their free time?», «What kind of music they listen to?», and these questions can be countless. There can be countless such questions.
TA search and analysis is the stage at which you will receive complete information about your potential customers, such as:
– demographic indicators: gender, age, location;
– interests and preferences;
– position and place of work;
– main pages on the social networks to which they are subscribed and what their activity on social media.
Will be able to use the obtained information in: planning advertising campaigns, estimating budget for marketing, creating a SMM strategy, and in many other stages of developing and launching the application.
Customer profiles development
The customer profile is well-structured and provides a detailed description of each user segment of your application. For example, a business owner or a university teacher, a logistics manager or a truck driver, and so on. There can be several customer profiles and just this very approach will enable you to identify and understand the most important customer – the one for whom your mobile application is intended for.
Customer profile consists of:
– customer tasks i.e. what customers want to achieve in their life, at home, at work;
– pain: what customers are afraid of, their performance, risks and obstacles;
– advantages: goals and benefits that customers are looking for.
Running ahead, I would like to say that, having determined the main customer profile, at the very beginning we equip the application with those functions, advantages and painkillers that will not only cope with all the tasks and pains of the customer, but also give them real value.
When starting a business or a mobile application, it is not enough to focus only on the user. You must know everything about your competitors and always be one step ahead. Why is it so important? Everything is very simple: people don't need good products that are uniquely branded, they need unique products that are well-branded. The search for uniqueness is not only an analysis of the needs and pains of your consumers, it is work dealing with the competitors’ mistakes, their strengths and weaknesses.
Competitor analysis is not just a search for similar applications on the App Store or Play Market. It is a collection of all information about each competitor separately, about each of their platforms, resources, traffic channels, its positioning, users and many other.
At the stage of competitor analysis, you will receive complete information about each similar application or project, such as:
– peculiarities and positioning;
– sales proposal;
– interface, design, usability, drawbacks, unique functions;
– ASO quality: icon, name, subtitle, screenshots, description, keywords;
– traffic channels, presence of FB/Google advertising;
– the number of installations and user feedbacks in application markets;
– the availability of a web resource: design, text, SEO;
– the availability of SMM and a lot more.
If you are not creative enough, if you don't make your product unique today, tomorrow someone can do it for you.
Analysis of key queries in the search and application markets (App Store, Play Market)
If you want to create a huge media space around your mobile application, brand or business, you should always be aware of «What users are looking for?», «How they are looking for it?», «What they are interested in?». Analysis of key queries will give you an understanding the best ways to talk about your application and to present it in a particular resource.
Search and analysis of key queries is one of the main stages of optimizing a mobile application or website in search (ASO, SEO). They are used to increase the efficiency of organic traffic and increase the visibility of the application in the search. Users are constantly looking for something on the Internet: answers to questions, products, tools, services. They may well find your application on their own and make a free conversion for you. This type of traffic is called organic. Optimization of the application (website) is done once and serves to attract customers from the search for more than one month.
In the future, we use the analysis of key queries at the following stages: creating a market strategy, calculating the budget of advertising campaigns, writing articles in a blog.
Value proposition development. Compliance
Upon defining all TA features, developing customer profiles and analyzing all competitors, we proceed to the final stage of market research, which is the development of a value proposition and compilation of compliance.
A value proposition, or value map, is a detailed and structured description of the functions, features and capabilities of your application. A value map consists of goods and services, «painkillers» and benefits. We develop and describe each element of the value proposition taking into account the analysis of:
– goods and services, which is just a list of functions and features of the application available to the user;
– «painkillers», which solve certain problems of the user and «relieve their pain»;
– benefits, which is something users get from your mobile application.
Compliance is the definition of the main segment of the TA (customer profile). We check your value proposition for compliance with each developed customer profile. Correspondence is achieved when the value proposition fully satisfies the customer: it solves his important tasks, relieves pain and creates benefits.
Effort put into market research seeks in order to achieve compliance and find the nominal «that very» user for whom your mobile application will become a real value.
Upon doing market research in OnCreate, you will have a complete understanding of «Who your main customer is?», a ready-made correspondence of the value proposition to the main customer profile, and complete documentation necessary to create a market strategy, develop ads, ensure optimization, and implement many other stages. As a result, you will have a pdf-file which will contain:
– analysis of the target audience by demographic parameters;
– ready-made customer profiles of your customers;
– full analysis of competitors;
– analysis of key Play Market and App Store requests;
– well-structured description of the product in the form of a value map;
– ready-made correspondence of the value application to customer profiles.
Still have questions? Please call or email us. We provide free consultations and always try to be helpful to our customers.
Follow our updates – our team is constantly creating new materials, in which we share experiences and talk about our work!